The church that is considered the largest, most beautiful and richest building of Zhovkva, is the main Roman Catholic church. It was built between 1606 and 1618 as the pantheon for the city’s founder Stanislaw Zolkiewski and his family. The Polish military leader Stanislaw Zolkiewski (1547-1629), his wife and son were buried here. Apart from the Zolkiewsky family, the church contains the family vaults of their relatives such as the Danilowiczy and the Sobiesky, notably Jakub Sobieski (1590-1646) and King Jan III Sobieski (1629-1696). The church is often viewed as a shrine to the golden age of Polish military achievement; so much so that its ongoing restoration has been sponsored by the Warsaw University of Technology and the Polish military. According to the number and significance of the burials of prominent figures of the Polish state, this church is often called „Little Wawel”, in contrast to the royal castle Wawel in Krakow. The church is raised on a terrace constructed by the Turkish captives. The bell tower, originally part of Zhovkva's fortifications, leans somewhat to the east. Two statues attributed to Andreas Schlüter (1659-1714) are one of the main decorations of this building. The dome is heavily coffered. In the 17th century, the walls of the church were decorated with pictorial representations of Zolkiewski's and Sobieski's battles executed by Szymon Boguszowicz (1575-1648) and Martin Altamonte, among others. They have since been moved to another tourism point of Lviv region (Olesko Castle).
Möchten Sie dieses Objekt in der Kuladig-App öffnen?
Wir verwenden Cookies
Dies sind zum einen technisch notwendige Cookies,
um die Funktionsfähigkeit der Seiten sicherzustellen. Diesen können Sie nicht widersprechen, wenn
Sie die Seite nutzen möchten. Darüber hinaus verwenden wir Cookies für eine Webanalyse, um die
Nutzbarkeit unserer Seiten zu optimieren, sofern Sie einverstanden sind. Mit Anklicken des Buttons
erklären Sie Ihr Einverständnis. Weitere Informationen finden Sie auf unserer Datenschutzseite.