An interesting church in the area of Znesinnya Park (Lviv) is the Greek Catholic Church of the Ascension of the Lord. It is located on the site of an older wooden one, which dates back to the beginning of the 17th century. The oldest known building of the church was erected in 1602. It burned down during the siege of Lviv and was rebuilt afterwards. The first researcher who draw attention to the value of the monument was the Austrian archaeologist Adolf Wolfskron (1808-1863). In 1858, he published a drawing and a plan in a Viennese edition in an article about wooden churches in Moravia, Silesia, Hungary and Galicia. In 1888, plans existed for the construction of a new brick church designed by Vasyl Nagirny (1848-1921). For unknown reasons, this did not happen. The new project was executed by Vladislav Halytsky (1850-1939) and implemented during 1897-1901. The old wooden church was not destroyed immediately. It was gradually rebuilt with new walls and dismantled after construction was completed. In 1922, an arrow-shaped neo-Gothic arch was built above the entrance to the churchyard, and later in 1924, a two-tiered wall belfry with semicircular arched openings for bells was built. The walls of the church are covered with modern paintings with stories mainly from the New Testament.
Möchten Sie dieses Objekt in der Kuladig-App öffnen?
Wir verwenden Cookies
Dies sind zum einen technisch notwendige Cookies,
um die Funktionsfähigkeit der Seiten sicherzustellen. Diesen können Sie nicht widersprechen, wenn
Sie die Seite nutzen möchten. Darüber hinaus verwenden wir Cookies für eine Webanalyse, um die
Nutzbarkeit unserer Seiten zu optimieren, sofern Sie einverstanden sind. Mit Anklicken des Buttons
erklären Sie Ihr Einverständnis. Weitere Informationen finden Sie auf unserer Datenschutzseite.